We have been testing these occasionally for your safety. However, after reading about a few disastrous fires around Philadelphia where the authorities found either no smoke detectors at all or no working smoke detectors, we have decided to increase the frequency of testing.
Every unit will be checked on the second Tuesday of each month - at the same time we are in your apartment to do preventive extermination.
In addition, we would encourage you to test these devices yourself occasionally. All you have to do is press the button on the unit and see whether it "beeps." If it does, everything is OK. If it doesn't there's a problem and you should call us immediately to check the unit, the wiring, the battery (if any) - remedy whatever is wrong.
You should also be aware that although some fires start in kitchens or are a result of faulty wiring (or foolish overloading of circuits, use of frayed extension cords, flammable items in contact with auxiliary heaters, etc), the greatest cause of fire fatalities in the home is smoking in bed or on a couch and falling asleep without fully extinguishing the cigarette, cigar, or pipe.